Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Here I go!


I can't believe I'm starting a blog about card making. I've only been at it for a couple of months, but I'm head over heels in love! I love the techniques, the media, the possibilities & most of all I love paper!

I have always loved to draw. One of my fondest memories of my dad was he knew & understood how much I loved drawing. He was extremely artistic himself. Dad had a friend who worked at a big paper company and somehow he managed to snag me big boxes of colored paper & cardstock. I adored doodling, teaching myself how to shade, constructing boxes, containers - I'm actually surprised that my major wasn't in design or illustration or even engineering.

Fast forward. I became an elementary school teacher, raised a family - in other words worked my butt off!  My free time priority was to lavish my kids with attention & lots of opportunities to see the world.  That left little time for art. Last summer I finally started to dabble in mixed media & found it filled me up in a different way. Then school started again & I yearned to create but had limited time. Then it hit me - I'd make cards! A perfect little canvas for trying out techniques. 

My first tries were so amateur & primary. Ugh!  But I practice everyday even if it's just to stamp an image & color it. I'm getting better & I hope that this blog will serve as a record to show growth as an artist with my stack of cards.
 
P.S. The flowers I did for the header on my blog was a technique I learned from KWerner Designs. She is amazing.  I wanna be her...





No comments:

Post a Comment